Our history: From asthma to Denmark´s first soy candles
Our story began in Denmark in November 2007 when the founder was casually browsing online. In Spring that year, she was diagnosed with asthma during a trip to California, and normal paraffin candles triggered her symptoms. Then she came across something called soy candles. She was intrigued to find that asthmatics and allergy sufferers were able to burn these without consequences – and that they were eco-friendly. After lots of research and gathering ingredients, she made her first ever soy candle, the remains of which she keeps to this day. She’s always had a passion for candles, but had to limit burning them as otherwise it would trigger her asthma. But with this new candle, she didn’t get any asthmatic or allergic symptoms – the relief! Then she discovered there was no soy candle company in Denmark. In fact, no Danes seemed to know about soy candles. After lots of research, she came across several Danish studies showing how dangerous stearin and paraffin candles were, and the harmful ingredients candle producers use. It’s scary to think that in a country where 4 out of 10 Danes light candles at home every day for some “hygge”, few were concerned about its impact on health and environment. Right away, she knew she had to do something to change people’s minds about these harmful candles.
Founder discovered soy candles
She made the first Danish soy candles in her kitchen at her parents house.
Founded first Danish soy candle company
Offered soy candles to the Danes.
First Danish soy melts
Founder offered the first Danish soy melts for sale.